Driver's Ed Parent's Night Dates are in RED -
Meetings are 6:30-8:30pm in Room E211 immediately following the end of the students' class.
Driver Education Classroom Schedule 2019-2020
- Classes are held in Room: N102 - 3:00 to 7:15pm
- The NRHS driver education program meets all Registry of Motor Vehicle requirements.
- Our school RMV number is 9185.
2,3,4,59, 10, 11, 12
6, 7, 8, 9, 13,
14, 15, 16
4, 5, 6, 7, 11,
12, 13, 14
1, 2, 3, 4,
8, 9, 10, 11
New RMV rules can be found online HERE
THE PROGRAM consists of:
30 hours class time
- Room N102
- 3:00-7:15 pm for 2 weeks
12 hours behind the wheel driving time
6 hours observing time with a school driver ed instructor
Students must be:
PARENT/GUARDIAN REQUIREMENTSParents are also expected to provide an additional 40 hours behind the wheel driving time with their child as well as attend a 2 hour information class held at the high school on the date noted on calendar of each monthly driver education class. (see calendar for dates.)Parent info class meets in Room E211 from 6:30-8:30pm. There is no charge for this class. No sign up is required and only one parent/guardian need attend. The parent attendance certificate is good for 5 years, The parent will not need to attend the parent class for siblings that begin their driving training within 5 years of the parents attendance.
- 15 years 9 months old and be academically eligible to attend
- Students are responsible for their own transportation home
- Flex bus schedules are in the main office
- Students missing any class must make it up the next month
- Classroom responsibilities must be completed before the student can schedule driving time
- Upon successful completion of the course students can get their license as early as 16 1/2 years
Students who choose not to take a certified RMV driver education course
- Must wait until they are 18 years old in order to get a Massachusetts license
COST FOR THE DRIVER EDUCATION COURSE
- $600 check payable to NRHS to Mrs. LaBranche.
- The check will reserve a seat in the class if the class is not already full. Students are enrolled on a first pay basis
- No driver education certification letters will be sent to the Registry until all classroom and student driving hours are completed
- All fees must be paid in full for student certification
- The parents class attendance must be completed for student certification
- Additional RMV costs to obtain a license
- $30 for permit
- $15 for MASS DOT driver education certificate
- Check to be given to driving instructor or Mr.Potts
- $85 before taking road test ($50 for 5 year license + $35 for appointment)
- Payment by credit card is advised on the RMV website
- Next test appointments at the RMV are opened up early on Saturday mornings. That is the best time to try to make an appointment online or by phone.
- We have 5 driver education cars
- Cars are in use all summer
- These new RMV rules can be found online HERE
The RMV handbook is available HERE
DRIVER ED CONTACT INFORMATION
- Program Coordinator: E-mail with any questions and problems
- Dave Potts
- 508-364-7499 (cell)
- Dave Potts
- Classroom Instructors
- Ricky Pollo
- Ken Maynard
- firstname.lastname@example.org (e-mail only)
Students may request a specific instructor when enrolling in the first class. Otherwise students will be assigned to an instructor based on home town and instructor's student load. Any request to change instructor must be made to Dave Potts. Summer and weekend, communication with instructors should be done by e-mail.
- Geoff Leary
- 508.237.3242 (cell)
- Bob Cowan
- 508.654.8722 (cell)
- Dave Potts
- 508.255.1505 ext. 5172 (school-year only)
- 508-364-7499 (cell)
- Rob LaBranche
- Christine LaBranche
- Lise Nielsen
- 508-241-1230 (cell)
Students can access the RMV's website to inquire if a driver's education certificate has been issued and applied to a student record. There is no fee associated with this transaction and the RMV asks that all driving schools and students use this on-line service in lieu of calling the telephone center.
You will be required to provide your students license number, first and last name, and date of birth. If a certificate has been issued you will be informed of the date that the certificate has been issued and the student will be advised to call the RMV’s Telephone Center to book a road test (800-858-3926) or their driving school if the school will be sponsoring the student for their road test. If a certificate has not been issued, you will be notified that a Driver's Ed Certificate was not found on our system, and the student will be advised to contact his/her driving school.